Thursday, October 14, 2010

Three Thought Thursday: Episode 41

1. This past week has been super busy. My parents came to town at the last minute, my etsy store has been busy, Mark's work schedule has been kind of crazy, oh, and Rudy has been cutting his eye teeth. I'm not sure if they're really called that or not. You know, the pointy vampire ones. One of them has broken through and the other is all sore and swollen. And he's been running a little fever with it too. Poor guy. And poor us too. He's just not a happy camper. Real cantankerous. For the most part, he's still sleeping pretty well though. So that's a blessing. Teething is just one of those parts of raising kiddos that isn't fun. And you kind of forget how bad it is until it flares up again. Though the former nursing mama in me is pretty glad they're not just born with them!

2. We were paid another visit by our plumber this week. Yippy! A visit from the plumber is never a good thing. And he just came a few weeks ago! The first visit was to replace a valve under the kitchen sink, replace a valve in the backyard, and fix a leak in the front yard. This time it was to fix a leak behind the wall in the boys' bathroom. Talk about nerve-wracking...the plumber came out mid-visit to let me know that if he couldn't get three screws out of the spout connection he was going to have to knock down the wall from the other side to get to the leak. And he was concerned because the screws were so old and rusted that he worried they wouldn't come out easily. Luckily, we dodged that bullet. I can't even imagine how much it would have cost to pull out an entire wall to get to a leak! On the positive side, we did get new hardware for the boys' bath tub that I installed myself and went ahead and bought some for out tub too that Mark installed when he got home from work. Oh, the joys of home ownership!

3. Have you ever seen The Wheels on the Bus video? My children are obsessed with it. And by obsessed, I mean obsessed. They seriously ask to watch it all. the. time. We actually found it at the library while picking our books for one of our school themes. I let them check it out, thinking that the bus and school might correlate well. They've been hooked ever since. So much so that I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon for them. Honestly, they are pretty good. Each episode teaches a moral or lesson as well as featuring different animals and healthy foods. Like when we go ride bikes down the street, Kolbe now says every single time "Mama, Argon (the dragon bus driver) says to look both ways before crossing the street." The only bad part is the annoyingly catchy songs. I find myself humming ridiculous lyrics like "eat it up, eat it uuuuuup. Kids will never grow unless you give 'em some food..." And Kolbe acts like it's the only worthwhile activity we have in our home. For example:
Me: Ok, it's time to start school!
Kolb: Actually, I think it's time to watch Wheels on the Bus.
or
Me: Are you ready to go to music class?
Kolb: No, I ready to go watch Wheels on the Bus.
One thing I guess is a positive to note is that this is the first show that has a plot that Kolbe has been even remotely interested in. He has never really been interested in the television, which thus far has been a good thing, but he's also never been really interested in books with a plot either, and I worried that, at nearly three-years-old, he wasn't "getting it." It seems like he's finally starting to put the pieces together and have the attention span to follow along with a story. I'm sure these little shows will be all the craze until the next best thing comes along....like  Frosty the Snowman in a month or so! Mark and I were just reflecting on how last Christmas every time he'd see a snowman he'd say "Raw-eee!" So cute! Can't wait!

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog