Thursday, October 7, 2010

Three Thought Thursday: Episode 40

1. Little town.... it's a quiet village...
Every day....like the one before....
         Little town... full of little people....
                             Waking up .... to .... saaaaaaayy...
Bonjour!                                           Bonjour!
                           Bonjour!
           Bonjour!                                           Bonjour!

Know what movie I'm obsessing over? That's right: Beauty and the Beast! It came "out of the vault" on Tuesday--an event I've been waiting for for quite some time! I love, love, love Beauty and the Beast. Definitely my favorite animated movie as well as one of my favorite films of all time. I have so many memories of Beauty and the Beast from my childhood. Going to see it at the theater....the night my mom brought it home on VHS.... Seriously, we flew through dinner, rapidly bathed and got ready for bed, and were back on the couch holding a bowl of popcorn in no time at all. And then there was the video of my youngest brother Dave and me singing it together for my grandmother, Mom Helen, the night before she passed away. Me, ten, and Dave just two. And yes, I'm pretty sure I have every word of the soundtrack memorized. It's the best. But no, I didn't go out and buy the DVD on Tuesday. I'm seriously trying to resist the urge and wait to ask for it as a Christmas gift. But I haven't exactly been face to face with it in the store yet. I'm sure the first time we cross paths in Target I'll be facing all sorts of temptation. And if we just happen to come home with it, I may just put it in the DVD player and click on the feature that says "play over and over." It's one of those things where I wouldn't exactly mind getting my bad-mom card pulled and letting my kids watch a DVD all. day. long.

2. We're in trouble. At least in public, we are. Kolbe has figured out that there's a difference between two little rooms found in public: the girls' bathroom and the boys' bathroom. If Mark is with us, he always wants Mark to take him. If it's just mom in tow, our conversation usually goes a little like this:
Kolbe: Mama, I need go pee.
Me: Ok, come on. Let's go in here.
Kolbe: No, I boy. I go in boy bathroom.
Me: Kolbe, I can't go into the boy bathroom. It's not nice for mamas to see other boys going to the bathroom.
Kolbe: I like those boy potties.
Me: I know, Kolbe. Next time that we're with Dada he'll take you in to the boys' bathroom.

So now I try to let him choose which stall he'd like to go into as a consolation.
Me: Which stall do you want, Kolbe?
Kolb: Uh, I guess that girl potty.
Sheesh.

3. I am now the not-so-proud owner of my third iron in just four years of marriage. I don't know what my luck is with irons, but apparently it's no luck at all. When Mark and I were engaged, we registered for a nice Rowenta iron and were so excited to receive it as a wedding gift. It was a pretty good iron. Probably not worth the lofty price tag, but nice overall. About a year-and-a-half a go, it up and called it quits. One minute it was working, the next it was dead. So I took off to Bed, Bath, and Beyond with my trusty twenty percent off coupon and purchased a new, slightly cheaper but still expensive Shark brand model. Also nice and effective. Until Tuesday. I used it during nap time to iron some fabric that I was going to sew with and it worked just fine. Then after dinner I plugged in it to find the light-up screen completely dark. Determined that it was just the outlet I was using, I waltzed over to an outlet that I was sure was working (you know, one with a lighted lamp already plugged in to it...) only to get the same results. How had I managed to kill off two irons in just four years!?! I'm pretty sure my parents had the same iron throughout my entire childhood. And how do you fix an iron with an obvious electrical problem? You don't. You throw it in the trash can and head out to the store to buy a new one. Or in my case, you coerce your little brother in to going to WalMart to buy one for you. And this time, we settled on a cheapy. Now that Mark is wearing scrubs to work nearly every day and we don't have tons of ironing to do, why bother with the expensive-obviously-not-worth-it irons? Hey, if we're going to have to replace our iron every two years, we need it to be something that fits into our budget. Grr.

No comments: