Thursday, April 26, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 17

1. Got a little time to listen to me spill about my business? Good! Thanks for listening! Here's the deal: I started my "little" etsy shop almost two years ago with no clear plan or goal in sight. Just sort of a who-knows-might-as-well-give-it-a-try type thing. As things have progressed, I've really fallen in love with my business and it has grown in to so much more than I could have ever dreamt it be when I first started out. Still a small business in the retail sense, but not so small any more. Heck, I was happy to get five-ten sales in a month! Now, I kid you not, it's roughly five-ten sales...a day. I've done more in sales in the four months of 2012 than I did in the entire year of 2011. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. I feel like I'm nearing a point where I'm torn. I really do love my business, but my kids have always been my priority. I've always said that I don't ever want my shop to interfere with me being their mom. But it seems that it's gotten to the point where the shop is demanding more from me than  I can possibly keep up with without interfering with their time. I suppose it's a fantastic predicament to have--too much business!?! Most people would be thrilled! And honestly, I am. I've got a fun, thriving  business on my hands. One that can continue to grow and develop as my kids get older. But right now I feel like I'm at a point where I need to make some decisions as to how I can control it right now. Thoughts of outsourcing some tasks are starting become legitimate ideas or even concoctions of how I can realign the shop to control the quantity of orders each day play out in my head quite a bit. It's that strange conversation going on in my head of feeling like this is something that God has given me the talent and skills to build, he's helped me make it successful, now what exactly does he want me to do with it next? How can I control it while still taking care of the most precious and most important gifts he's given me...my boys? Thanks for hearing me rant. And though seemingly frivolous compared to many far more important things going on in the lives of many others, a little prayer for my peace over this matter would be appreciated! (read: I'm probably being a little neurotic and just need to chill out.) The End.

2. The past weekend was a blast! We haven't had very many social "events" since moving down here that haven't involved my family, so whenever we get invited to do something as a family with other families, we usually jump at the chance. Last Friday night, we had dinner my parents' next door neighbors who we got to know while living with my parents prior to moving in to our house. They have kiddos roughly the same ages as the boys, and while the boys and I have had a few play dates with them, this is the first time we've hung out as families. We had great time, and man, I think Mark and I just really enjoyed having some good adult conversation with someone other than each other! Then on Saturday we went to not one, but two crawfish boils. They're all the rage down here this time of the year. For lunch we attended the one hosted by Mark's office. Complete with a bounce house for the kiddos and a margarita machine for the adults, it was a lot of fun and I got to meet a lot of the docs and medical professionals that Mark works with daily. After a much needed siesta, we then took off down in to Houston for the second crawfish boil hosted by some friends of ours, the Kims. (my sister-in-law, Abby's sister Jenny and her husband Jae) Again, a wonderful time! Mark had fun pigging out on all the crawfish he could stomach and I had fun girl talking with a lot of Jenny's friends. And of course watching all the cute little ones play together! Plus, we managed to make it back to The Woodlands with my brother, Andy, who had flown down from Lubbock to job hunt in Houston this week. We've really enjoyed getting to hang out a bunch with him, too. So while last week was pretty lackadaisical, this week has been way out of our non-social norm. And very enjoyable! There's lots of fun to be had in the springtime!

3. To the highs and the lows...peaks and pits...roses and thorns...
Sometimes I feel like all I do is rant about this or that with the boys and fail to take note of all the wonderfulness that goes on around here too. I think that's the way that journals go...a lot of venting with complaints but rarely any recognition of the good. I think it's important to let steam off about things that are difficult or that are bothering you, but also important to be thankful for the beauty. After all, I'm writing this to remember what these years are like when down the road, I look back and want to re-live it all again. So I thought I'd do a little roses/thorns for each one of my precious boys.
Kolbe
thorns: At this age, his name happens to by synonymous with "hard-headed." If this guy doesn't come up with the idea himself, he doesn't want to participate. If it's not on his time table, forget it. If if doesn't focus on him, he'll let you hear about his distaste for it. Because the world is round and rotating...and according to him, he's the axis, don't you know. Sassy and disrespectful at times, our challenge with Kolbs right now is just channeling his hard-headedness into positive things.
roses: It's is so much fun watching everything blossom in Kolbe. His social side. His athleticism. His intelligence. Man, he is such a neat kiddo! He can slap pitch after pitch with his blaster bat in the backyard. He dribbles down the field with a soccer ball like a seasoned player. He sees letters while we're out and about and stops to tell me what sound they make and tries to figure out the word. He befriends strangers at the playground. He's really starting to grow up and is so much fun to watch.
Reagan
thorns: Oh, Rudy. He's still our whiner. That, and he's in that obnoxious stage where he asks "why" to everything. Not in a cute, I'm-learning-about-the-world way. In the "Rudy, can you hand me that towel?"..."Why?" kind of way. I always disliked the "because I said so" response, but it gets dropped all the time with this guy. Sometimes it is the only answer I can think of!
roses: It's so amazing to me to see how unique this little guy is. While he follows Kolbe around and does everything Kolbe does, he still has his own special habits that are just so "Rudy." His little "treasures" that he carries around. The fact that he still loves to cuddle up to Mama. His joy in playing pretend. And he loves music. He's starting to carry a tune well and has certain songs on the radio that are his songs. Rudy is full of life.
Grant
thorns: One word: teething. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. He's been cutting his top two middle teeth for several weeks now. It's not pleasant. One has finally broken through and the other is a deep purple, almost black swollen lump. I really do feel sorry for him, 'cause it looks so painful. But heck, it's painful for me too! The second I try to put him down he leeches on to my leg and wants to be held again. And I don't mind holding him, but heck, I have two other kids who need me and there's only so much weight my back or arms can take before I need a break! And man, oh, man is this guy squirmy. Holding him is like wrestling a greased piglet.
roses: But then I look at that precious little face and my heart melts every time. Watching his face light up when our eyes meet is one of the most gratifying feelings as a mother. As if he thinks I'm the most wonderful thing in the whole wide world. And watching him discover the world, explore everything around him, and start to participate in true human to human interaction is just so delightful. To think that less than a year ago he wasn't even living outside of my body! The first year is no less than moment after moment of amazing miracles.

My assistants pulling my flat-bed for me at Lowes...time to plant some new flowers!

Kolbe getting ready for the day. He's very particular about it...brushes his teeth, washes his face, combs his hair. Every day. Like a little man.

Grant's first at bat with Pa's assistance!

A little jam session with Dada...don't you just love that look on Kolbe's face!?! He sure does love his Daddy.

We've got a situation. My little Grant-ness turned 10 months old this week and usually I take his picture and post about his development, but this is what he's looked like for a good part of the week. Needless to say, he's quite obviously allergic to mosquitoes. He got bit about a half of an inch above his eyebrow and the next day his eye was nearly swollen shut. We ended up having to give him liquid Benadryl in a bottle to get it under control after other attempted remedies failed. Poor guy, his forehead was protruding, eye was hardly open, skin was all splotchy...it might be a long summer with this guy if this is the reaction we get to every single bite.

I love everything about this picture. The grimy post-lunch faces, the new haircuts, the way Rudy is holding Kolbe's finger, the joy on their silly faces. Best, best, best, best friends.

Tuesday: After lunch I tell the boys it's time to go out and plant our new flowers. Kolbe is still eating and says he doesn't want to come out yet. I slather up Rudy and Grant with some sunscreen and tell Kolbs to come on out when he's finished. Five minutes later he emerges, looking like this. "Mom! I've got my worker gloves on and I put on my own sunscreen!" Bless his little heart...at least he tried!

No comments: