Thursday, April 19, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 16

1. It's 9:48pm and I'm just now sitting down to write. Not because the day or week has been so overwhelmingly hectic or stressful, but mainly because it's just been a pretty uneventful week. Mark always says he can tell that there's nothing going on when I ask him "What should I write about for Three Thought Thursday?" It's true. Some weeks I already have the entire post written out in my mind long before Thursday. And then there are weeks like this one where sure, plenty has gone on, but it's all mainly a part of the routine of life. Which, to be honest, is important to me. Sometimes it feels like life is so bam, bam, bam. Non-stop, one thing after another. And I know that the older and more active that the boys get, the crazier life will be. But I want there to be normalcy. Family time. Just routine life. Recently the boys have started asking me "Where are we going today?" or "What are we doing today?" And then they're shocked when I say "nowhere" or "nothing." I want them to love just being at home and being with each other and having days...or even weeks!...when not much happens.  And that's how this week has been. Just life at The Asmussens.

2. One thing that was out of the ordinary for our week was an unplanned trip to the movies for Mark and me. A few weeks ago I jumped on the bandwagon and started reading the Hunger Games books. Of course, just like everyone else, I got hooked quickly on such easy and action-filled reads. Truthfully, I don't get to ready nearly as much as I'd like to. Before children, I read all the time. And even after Kolbe was born, I did somewhat. But once you have kids running around...ones that are very active...ones that no longer nap...kicking back and reading a book is next to impossible. The only time it gets done where I'm actually comprehending the words that I'm reading is after they've gone to bed! So books that normally would have taken me mere days to read have stretched out across a few weeks...and I'm still on the third book...but man, it sure has been nice to read again. As a child I loved to read, as a teacher I loved to teach literature, and now I just don't want to "give up" on a favorite hobby just because it's not exactly easy to do anymore. Anyhow, after enjoying The Hunger Games, I just had to see the movie. So I was thrilled when my parents offered to come over and watch the boys on Tuesday evening so Mark and I could go see it. It was very entertaining, and even Mark enjoyed it, though I still always prefer the book. And the time alone with the hubby was second to none! Definitely the highlight of my week.

3. Several weeks ago I mentioned that I finally broke down and created a "cleaning schedule" for myself as part of my 2012 Bucket List. I also promised to divulge it if it actually worked out. Weeks later, I'm still following my little routine and I think it has actually stuck! So here's what I've been doing:

First, I broke up the cleaning in to daily, bi-weekly, weekly, bi-monthly, and monthly categories. Daily chores, like dishes and picking up toys, are just understood and don't go on my to-do list, but everything else gets thrown on there as a reminder. It looks a little something like this:

Monday-
laundry
hard floors touch up (swiffer vac and wipe any spots)
Tuesday-
vacuum downstairs
stip beds/wash sheets or full mop of all tile floors (alternating weeks)
Wednesday-
vacuum upstairs
clean toilets or clean showers (alternating weeks)
Thursday-
hard floors touch up (swiffer vac and wipe spots)
wipe down bathroom counters
Friday-
vacuum downstairs
dust

There are also what I consider monthly chores, like dusting/cleaning all the mini-blinds or wiping the baseboards, but those just get added on. And that's about it! Like I said, so far this is what has worked for me. And I like that it's what works for our house and family. I think each person/family has their own hang-ups or unique cleaning "behaviors." Like some of you might be thinking There's no way I'm doing the laundry all on one day or She only changes her sheets every other week? or I can't believe she changes her sheets every other week! To each their own with cleaning. I think whatever makes you feel comfortable, not stressed, and in control of your household is what you should do! Just glad I've nailed down something that works for us. Oh, and if you happen to have any "assistants," put them to work, too! The cleaning list should be for the whole family!

My "assistant" vacuuming out my sewing nook with the crevice tool. Atta boy!

Grant, Blankie Blue, and his thumb

I rarely, rarely, rarely get to do this anymore. Nothing like getting to cuddle with your very first baby, no matter how big he may be getting.

Two little monkeys getting ready for a bath.

The new Joann opened in The Woodlands! Sewing heaven. If only each of these machines didn't cost as much as car.  

No comments: