Thursday, March 29, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 13

1. Another busy, but fun week! I've been struggling to get my posts done before the Thursday hours expire each week, which means there's been so much going on that I haven't had a chance to write-as-I-go like I used to do. One major project that Mark and tackled this week was replacing our kitchen sink. It's something that we've wanted to do since we moved in nearly a year ago (eek!), but just A) haven't had the funds and B) haven't had the time. But a nagging leak behind the cabinet doors finally made us pull the plug on our builder grade cheapo sink and faucet. We "fixed" it several times, but the parts were rusted out and inevitably, we'd either be paying a plumber a lot to come check things out probably just to find that it needed to be replaced. Since we wanted to do it anyway, we just decided to go for it. That is, after we cleaned out the puddle our cleaning supplies were swimming in. Now, I say we were planning to replace the sink. But when I say "we," I mean "me, Mark, and the friendly installation team from Home Depot or Lowes." But when the salesman informed us that installation was $300 plus another $60 for delivery of our items, we decided it was time to get brave and do it ourselves. And I must say, we seriously underestimated ourselves! The hardest part was lifting the cast iron sink and setting it in correctly. The whole process was far easier than we thought it would be. Really, people. Everything you buy comes with instructions. And there's oodles of videos online to help, too. That, and working on a house that's only nine years old as opposed to our Lubbock house that was over thirty years old makes a huge difference. As Mark says, I'm the brains behind the operation and he's the brawn. After a few hours of work while the kids took naps, we had a brand new shiny sink, faucet, and disposal. I'm one happy lady, and considering Mark does the dinner dishes every night, he's a pretty happy fella too.
The old basic-of-the-basics sink. And in barftastic condition.

Mr. Fix-it, hard at work.

The new beauty! We have white corian counters, so we could have gone with an under mount sink, but it would have required refinishing the counter top edges as well. And I've heard mixed reviews on those, as it is. And I know that stainless steel is all the rage, but I really just wanted to go classic since we have the white counters and white appliances. It's very clean looking. And clean is good. I especially love that it's extra deep and has the lower divider in the middle. Great for washing pans!

2. My little nugget turned nine months old this week. It's going by way way way too fast. And I have to admit that eight to nine months is my favorite age. He is just so cute, loveable, hugable and happy. Full of life, full of adventure, full of excitement, this guy is ready to take on the world every waking second. When I say he's all over the place, I mean all over the place. He's obsessed with trying to get on the stairs. As I've mentioned before, the bottom to stairs on our staircase have no walls so the gate is on the third step. He climbs those bottom two, stands with his hands on the gate and just looks over waiting for someone to spot him. As soon as I holler out a long "Graaaaaaaant..." he bursts into a smile as if to say, "Heeheehee! I got on the stairs again!" He's got two shiny teeth and even though he only gained two pounds since his last check up a few months ago, he's still in the 85th percentile. He's thinned out some but is still so squeezable and fluffy. He's developing great friendships with his brothers, especially Kolbe. They love to play together and Kolbe is so patient with him. Grant is eating more and more new foods and isn't afraid to try anything. Pickles are still his favorite when I let him get ahold of one. He's still a barfer. But like two to three times a day instead of two to three times an hour. And he'll even let strangers hold him now without freaking out. We love this little guy. He's fabulous. If all babies were like him, I can't imagine anyone being afraid to have children. :)
My doll baby
3. Today I got to do something really cool in my books. One of my high school girlfriends who now lives in Nashville was in Houston with a Christian band that she travels and plays with. We made arrangements and the boys and I drove to the school she was performing at to meet up with her. I haven't had a chance to see any of my high school buddies in ages. When you move several states away to go to college, not many people can just meet up for lunch from time to time, if you know what I mean. Bethany and I were friends through our show choir, The Front Line, which was the cool thing to do at our high school. And I'm not being sarcastic. Seriously. It was. We've stayed in touch via Facebook through the years, and while our lives have taken different paths, they've also remained the same in many ways. I know that if we lived in the same city, we'd still be close friends. It was wonderful to see her! And other than Rudy wetting his pants in the car, causing us to divert our travels to  the nearest Walmart for new undies and shorts, the boys did fairly well too. (They perform well for an audience.) Hopefully when Bethany comes through town in the fall, we'll be able to meet up again...maybe sans kids for a little shopping! Who says long distance friendships don't work!?! And all my other high school friends, if you're ever near Houston, please let me know!
An oldie-but-goodie...me with my sweet friend, Bethany D!

The church had an Easter egg hunt for the kiddies on Sunday, complete with face painting. We made it home with two cute little bunnies.

We discovered that Mr. Blue Eyes is great at using a straw! He loves sipping water while the boys eat.

Ever need to burn ten or so minutes with the kids? Teach them how to play paper football. The boys love it. Please excuse the gnarly kitchen table. It's a good 25 some odd years old and falling apart.

Last night we celebrated Pinkie's birthday, even though it's not until April 5th. She's leaving for Lubbock for 2 weeks so we had to celebrate early. Pay no attention to the candles...she's actually 39....again.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Love the new sink! I think you must have inherited all the "handiness" though. Anytime I try to convince Mike to do handywork, he would rather pay to have it done hands down before trying to do it himself. I wish I was more handy myself.
Grant is getting so big and is such a cutie! We just now got Jackson drinking from a straw - WTG Grant!