Thursday, March 8, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 10

1. It's 9:30pm and I'm just now sitting down to write. Yup. Kinda been one of those weeks. Not a bad one--just sort of all over the place. We had a really busy weekend, which was a lot of fun, but sort of got the week started off a little awkward. Plus, we're currently having an issue with sleeping, but I'll get to that in a minute. Anyway, I know that the kids and I really thrive on routines. Not exactly a "schedule," but just some sort of structure. Unfortunately, I feel like we've really gotten away from even a quasi-routine. It's sort of turned in to just whatever happens, happens. I like to go to bed at night having at least a very rough sketch of the next day! 'Cause when I'm not prepared for the next day, what tends to happen is I get frazzled or overwhelmed while the boys are still expecting me to be prepared and it either ends up turning in to lots of acting out by the boys or me "dumping" on them. ("Here, color this picture while I get this or that taken care of.") Trying to have a little more control of each day is definitely high on the priority list for this coming week.

2. So I mentioned sleeping issues. Ironically enough, I think the only person not having sleeping issues in our house is Grant! Mark started his new job last week and while they do finish up much earlier than his previous job, they also start a lot earlier. It's definitely not a bad thing...just a bit of a transition. We are loving having him home earlier, but he's pretty much ready to go to bed when the kids go! Speaking of the boys, that's where the biggest problem lies. To start with, the boys share a room, and they love sharing a room. But the rest of their sleeping patterns are completely opposite. Kolbe has given up his nap; Rudy still needs one. Since Kolbe doesn't nap, he's ready to go to bed early. Since Rudy still naps, he's still ready to play when Kolbe is crashing. And even though Rudy needs the nap, he's fighting it like crazy because he knows Kolbe is awake. See the problem? Like yesterday, Rudy started acting sleepy around 12:30 which would be the ideal nap time. But did he fall asleep then? Nope. I finally had to banish Kolbe to the far ends of the house while I laid down with Rudy until he quickly dosed off shortly after 2:30. And with that late of a nap, of course he was still bouncing off of the walls at 8:00pm. Then there was today. Rudy woke up from his nap roughly ten minutes after it started because he needed to go to the bathroom. Never went back to sleep so he was fighting to stay awake by 4:45pm. They were both in bed by 7:30pm. I'm sure you get the point. I just wish we could come up with something that works for both of them. And me! I still really need my little break in the middle of the day, but if I'm not going to get it, then I need them both to go to bed earlier so I can have a break at night. And I'm sure the looming spring forward time change will just throw another wrench in the whole scene. As much as they love sharing a room, I have a feeling some changes may need to take place to maintain my sanity and everyone's health.

3. So while Grant has been sleeping like a champ, the whole nursing situation is definitely going south. I suppose that's what I get for unknowingly turning in to a nursing snob after having the perfect nurser in Reagan. I foolishly thought that since he nursed so well, I would have the same success with any subsequent babies. You may remember all the issues I had with nursing Grant in the beginning. Though I haven't mentioned them in a while, they really haven't gone away. I still have major circulation issues that cause a lot of pain. Not to mention the fact that I've had mastitis three times in eight months. And a clogged duct once, too! And now the bigger problem is the distractions. When I nursed Rudy, there were hardly any. Sure, I had Kolbe, but he was only fifteen months when Ru was born. And Kolbe didn't even start talking till he was two! It's a completely different story with Grant. He's reached the point where he's totally aware and interested in Kolb and Ru and all they're doing at all times. He thinks he's one of the big guys and can't stand to miss out. Sorry for the "graphic" nature, but this little comic cracks me up and is fits Grant perfectly.



About the only part that's not accurate is the book in my hand. Yeah, right. Heck, even when I've pumped and feed him with the bottle, he's all over the place. And the whole "go to a quiet place" that all the baby gurus recommend is so far from realistic that it's not even funny. But hey, I'm determined and still feel like as long as I can, I should. We'll make it to one year. And I'll never, ever, ever, ever have the nursing snob thought that "it's easy" ever again!

He got banished to a pillow on the floor after trying to crawl off a good five times while I fed him. Squirmy Worm!!!
Part of our busy weekend was spending Saturday morning at The Woodlands marathon. Two of my cousins ran the full marathon and we were SO proud! Kristen (not pictured) has run several in the past year but this was Helen's first. Not only did she make it, she finished is 4 hours and 33 minutes. That's roughly 26 ten minute miles. Are you kidding me!?!?!

Rudy fell asleep in the car on the way home. He walked in on his own will and swore he didn't want to go to bed and wanted to eat lunch. But we found him asleep on the stairs a few minutes later. See!?! Sleep issues.

On Sunday, my parents treated us to a last minute Texas Tech baseball game down at Minute Maid Field. (where the Astros play) We had a blast getting to explore the stadium with a much smaller crowd than the 'stros games. The boys love baseball!

In front of the stadium there is a mock field with iron sculptures of players in action. Grant's head fit perfectly into the hand of the guy on second! I know. We're wierd. But he obviously thought it was hilarious, too!

Kolbe loves to brush my hair. And I can't say that I mind. While I usually end up looking a little crazy, it feels great!

He styled Grant's hair for him, too. Yikes.
"Here...color this for a minute while I make your lunch..."

1 comment:

Jenny Burton said...

You're such a teacher!! Everybody looks great... keep your chin up and hopefully the rough patch will soon pass! Miss you guys!