Thursday, March 22, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 12

1. Spring has definitely sprung around these parts. Other than the permanent layer of pollen coating just about everything outdoors, I love this time of year. Oh, and one other thing. It happens every spring and every fall: the bi-annual switching over of the wardrobes. It just never seems to go smoothly. It always entails piles and piles of clothes, bags labeled this and that, bins needing to be pulled down and rearranged...you get the idea. And all of that with three kids climbing all over the place. The most frustrating part is just finding the time and space to do it. For example, I managed to get all of the twelve and eighteen month summer clothes out,washed, and stacked for Grant. And then he took a nap so the project had to be abandoned. Later, I got all of the winter stuff out of his drawers and closet and stacked. And then it was bed time. The next day, piles of both summer and winter clothes covered his entire room. And, of course, big brothers felt the need to mess with said piles every time we entered the room. Eventually, everything was in its rightful place, including multiple items in the donate box that left me scratching my head and asking why in the world did I keep this!?! There are stains all over it! Poor Grant...the third boy and still on the same lot of clothes with only a handful of new items here or there. But I digress. The dreaded clothing switch-over of Spring 2012 is finally over and I think we're set for the hot summer ahead.

2. Two weeks ago I mentioned a big need for us to get back on a schedule and vowed to get to it last week. I wrote this in haste, as I wasn't thinking about spring break and the visitors we'd have in town. We were the farthest thing from a schedule last week! But this week has been much smoother, and I must say, it feels great. I actually wrote out on paper what an "ideal day" would look like for us. Not down to the minute or anything, just a loose schedule with a certain level of structure and regularity. Like "7-8 breakfast, dress boys, clean up kitchen" as opposed to "7:50- unload dishwasher." Lord knows I'd never meet my own expectations with that! Heck, it's been a struggle to meet my expectations with the loose schedule. I'm still working on tweaking it a bit, but maybe I'll share it on here, once it gets to the point that I'm really comfortable with it. And I'm also proud to say that I've included a little cleaning schedule within my daily schedule as well. Part of my 2012 bucket list is to develop a cleaning routine. I've had this sneaking suspicion that if I did 5-10 minutes of cleaning each day, it would be so much less stressful than panicking and doing it all on one day. I can almost always squeeze in 5-10 minutes somewhere within the day. It's just making myself do it! And this week has been great. I've just got to see if I can make it stick. But if I can, I'll share it with you too. Ah. I love me some structure!

3. Back to clothes. But this time for me. Mark and I worked on cleaning out our own closet this past week, and man, there were a few things in there that I found myself asking why in the world do I own this!?! We definitely went with the if-you-haven't-worn-it-in-a-year policy and ended up with several bags to donate. And lots of empty hangers. Begging for cute new spring/summer items. Really, here in Houston, you need very few winter items and lots of summer stuff. And sadly, when I look through my stuff, it seems like all I wear are basics. You know...solid color fitted T, jean/khaki shorts/crops/pants, sandals. I really don't have much money to spend on new spring/summer wear, but if I can scrounge up a bit, I definitely want to get some tops that aren't the basics. There are so many styles out there right now that are cute and feminine and not so blah. I get frustrated, too, because of what I consider my "nursing figure," (I'm sure you can probably figure out what that means...) but I really want to not totally fall in the "mom" look just because I have three kids and am turning thirty this year. I feel like to be the best mom and wife that I can be, I need to take care of myself and feel good about myself and not just let myself slide down the drain. Capisce?

We went to our favorite sandwich shop, Potbelly's, while Abby and Andy were here and Grant had his first run in with the splash pad. He LOVED it! Of course, I was just aiming to get a picture of him with the water, but I love how this picture turned out. Check out the two other little hooligans plotting in the background!

It's wildflower time in South Texas! One of my favorite times of the year. And these pretty bluebonnets are right in our front garden. Love them!

We rode our bikes up to the neighborhood park on Saturday...the first time this spring and the first time since Grant has been mobile. Needless to say, he had a lot of fun!

The obsession with doing Mama's hair continues...everyone loves a good shampoo.

A little blurry, but I love this picture of all four of my guys cuddling in a little twin bed

My family always had an Easter tree growing up. It seems like you hardly see them anymore, but I decided it was time to make our own. A few branches from Hobby Lobby, a few packages of little Easter ornaments, and an hour or so of kiddie decorating later and this is what we ended up with. It's prettier in person. I promise.

We swung by Old Navy after mass on Sunday to pick up a few things and I nearly died over this little hat. Grant looked SO cute! I had to peel myself away....

1 comment:

Britney said...

We had an Easter tree growing up!