Thursday, August 12, 2010

Growing Up

Right before our very eyes, our little boys are growing up. Not once, not twice, but three times in the past week total strangers have commented or asked about our twins. It's true. They're nearly to the point where they almost look that way.

In fact, I took Rudy to his eighteen month appointment a few days ago to find out that he's in the 75th percentile for height. Really? My kid? With three of four grandparents being on the shorter side, I didn't think it was possible. But I suppose he may have snatched up some of Mama and Pa's genes somewhere in there. He's nearly the same height as Kolbe now. His pediatrician also commented on how muscular he is. All that glorious baby fat. Melted away into little boy muscles. I was hoping he'd be more like eight when that happened. Not eighteen months.

And then there's Kolb. Well, for the most part, he's still the same size. Not much to write on there. Still short. Still skinny. Though he's now up to about twenty-seven pounds, I think! But boy, is he growing up in so many other ways. The things he says are hilarious. His physical coordination is still unbelievable. He's just such a fun kid. Not a baby. Really, it's kind of sad. Bittersweet, I suppose. He loves to help me around the house, gets himself dress from head to toe every day (seriously. undies, shorts, shirt, socks, shoes...his fine motor skills rock!), and gets breakfast out and ready for me every morning. Including the spoons! Just check out the pictures below and you'll see what I mean.

Rudy now feeds himself independently. This pic was a while back...from a bad run in with a carton of yogurt that he just had to eat on his own!

Grubby little monster!

Kolb doing work. He loves to push his stool over to the sink and work on dishes. For real! I didn't even teach him that one! He decided to do it all on his own. Lucky Mama!

I wonder if any of the local restaurants would consider hiring a two-year-old....

His new favorite craft project: anything with a glue stick.

This picture just kills me. I think it's the first one I took that I looked at and thought Whoa. He's a boy. A kid. Baby Kolbe is gone.

2 comments:

Britney said...

When Kolbe is a teenager and doesn't want to help with the dishes, just show him the pictures showing how much he enjoyed it! Your kids are adorable! :)

The JP Behnkes said...

I love this age but it makes me so sad, too! :( Our babies aren't babies! And in that last picture, Kolb looks SO much like you! I can't believe it!