Thursday, May 24, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 21

1. It's a known fact that in my 4.5 years of parenting I've tried many-a-method when it comes to taming my crazy monkeys. Yes, they are just little boys. But they're two boys, just fifteen months apart and, if given the freedom, would run the world amok. Really, they are fabulous, smart, good little boys. I just want to keep them that way! So when we returned from our beach trip and sassy attitudes were at an all time high, I decided to give something we did when I was a child a shot. Knowing how in to money and coins my kids have been, I thought it just might be effective. When we were growing up we called it "Dimes." It consisted of us each having a baby food jar with ten dimes in it. Any time we cut out of line, we lost a dime. At the end of the week, we each got to keep our remaining dimes. While it didn't work at all for some (Andy was known to ask my mom to take all of his dimes on the first day...), I used to walk away with my full dollar's worth every week. I decided to mix it up a bit and go from the positive side of things with the boys. They each have a jar on the kitchen counter. Each time I get a "yes ma'am" or catch them doing something nice or they do something the first time I ask etc, etc. they get a money in their jars. (penny) And with each "no" or sass or fighting or whining or disrespect it's a money out. To say it has been a success would be a serious understatement. Especially with Kolbe. He's gone from Mr. Sassy-Pants to Mr. Perfect overnight! I knew from the get-go that while it would be a hugely popular idea to begin with, I'd have to work hard to keep up the results despite the fact that the actual coin-in-the-jar procedure would die down. For example, we went to the coin jars every. single. time. on the first day. By today, I think I went maybe three times. But still had the same fabulous behavior as day one. We just keep a good running tally in our minds! Anyway, I should have known that something that worked so well for me as a child would work well for my little clone. Now to just channel it in to non-stop "yes ma'ams" because Mommy deserves them instead of because a penny is attached!

2. On Saturday I woke up to a facebook post from a sweet friend of ours saying that she was going to the Texas IronMan to watch her sister run. I knew it was in The Woodlands because we went to watch it last year. And we planned on going this year as well. Sure enough, we got to meet up with Miss Lisa Myers twice and watch her sister, Laurie, finish her first IronMan! Can you imagine? I can't even fathom doing one leg of it, let alone all three. (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and then a full marathon) And not only did she finish, from what I hear she actually won her age division. Craziness! But it was so fun to see lots of people complete such an amazing feat and even more fun to catch up with such an adorable friend. We can't wait for her wedding here in Houston this summer!

3. I spent a good chunk of my day today at the dentist. Before I had kiddos I was one of those goody-two-shoes-every-six-months type of patients. But then the kids came and we lost dental coverage for a while and when we got it back, wouldn't you know it, I had another newborn. Finding time to squeeze in a dental appointment was nearly impossible. Especially amongst countless "pregnancy" appointments. (high risk people go all. the. time.) But alas, I finally got my butt in gear and went. No, not because I just up and decided it was time. And not because my teeth were aching and I thought I might have a cavity. Nope. It took a full-on chipped front tooth to finally make me go! And I have absolutely no "dental phobia" whatsoever. Just always chose something else over going to the dentist. (can you blame me!?!) It almost felt like going to confession..."Forgive me, doctor, for I have committed a dental sin. It's been three years since my last visit..." And beyond the chipped tooth, my penance was a return visit next week for fillings. Doh. Guess I better pull out all the dimes from my good girl jar to pay for this one.

My Mother's Day chairs finally in place on the front porch. :)

Every baby needs to have at least one kitchen sink bath, right? This guy loved it.

Watching Lisa and her parents wait in anticipation for their sister/daughter to round the corner to the finish line at the Texas IronMan. No lie, it was just as fun watching them wait and cheer for her as it was actually seeing her run by!

We established a while back when Grant got bit above the eye that he has quite the gnarly reaction to mosquito bites. So I've been extra cautious when taking him outside. Using deet free repellent and just keeping a watchful eye. No one wants to stay inside all summer! But apparently I didn't get any repellent on his poor ear...red, hot, and super swollen. :(

His poor ear was so swollen that it stood out like a monkey for the entire day. But he stayed happy and didn't seem to even notice it. And he's still pretty darn cute, if I must say so myself!

3 comments:

Casey said...

Don't think Jackson's quite old enough for the 'jar method' yet, but I think we'll be testing that strategy out with him. Thanks for the tip!

Brian Asmussen said...

I love all your posts, but this one has to be one of my favorites.

We always enjoy hearing all the stories of the boys with a few childhood stories of your own (Andy).

We also loved the picture of Grantness with his ear. I know it freaked out my mom, but I couldn't help but laugh. :)

Love you guys!

Mika said...

Poor little Grant! I hope that he outgrows his reaction to mosquito bites. I, too, love the money jar idea. I think we definitely need to give it a try.