Thursday, June 9, 2011

TTT: Season 2, Episode 23

1. We've been in our new house for right at three weeks and we officially had our first visitors (other than my parents) this past week. Some former Red Raiders were getting married down in another part of Houston, which brought several of our former college friends down from Dallas to attend the wedding. Two families, the Bares and the Sisks, volunteered to come out and visit us after the wedding festivities were over. One of the things Mark and I feared when we decided to move down here was that no one would ever come see us, considering The Woodlands is a good eight to nine hour drive from Lubbock. So we were so excited to have friends come see us so soon! And even though Mark was on-call and had to go in for an emergency surgery, it sure did mean a lot to us. Hopefully next time they can actually stay with us instead of just coming by to hang out for a while. And actually, we're looking forward to Brian and Cristi (Mark's brother and sister-in-law) driving down from Dallas this weekend to stay for a little visit. Our first official house guests! Hopefully they aren't expecting much, because the thirty-five week pregnant version of myself isn't exactly running on full steam. Though the homemaker version of myself is cringing at the idea of having guests that I can't really entertain. I suppose they'll understand. And next time we'll make it more memorable!

2. With first visitors checked off our list, we had another little chunk of before-the-baby-gets-here business to attend to this week: getting a bigger vehicle. While the car seats we use for the boys boast the ability to fit three across in the backseat of a standard sedan, I don't think I boast the ability to get three boys ages three and under in and out of the backseat of a Camry on a regular basis. So as of Monday we officially became minivan owners. Eight or so years ago I would have died at the idea. I grew up riding in a minivan, learned how to drive in a minivan, and always loathed my parents' ownership of a minivan. But let's face it--for a large family with a large extended family, it's the most practical option. (since we can't rationally afford a sweet, massive SUV) And despite my former hatred, I now love it. And to my surprise, Mark has always been pumped to get a van. It's like that final "yeah, I've got a wife and pack full of kids" badge. To start with, we knew it would be between an Odyssey and a Sienna, and I think we both pretty much had our hearts set on an Odyssey. But wouldn't you know, we actually liked the Sienna better. Hey, I've been driving a Camry for the past seven years. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I feel more comfortable in a Toyota. It's like a bigger version of the awesome car I drove since I graduated from college.  So there's now a big, black swagger wagon living in our garage. With "magic doors" as Kolbe and Rudy would say.

3. As I type this, I have to admit that I'm a little bit miserable. No, not because of the fact that I "have no ankles whatsoever," as Mark told me the other night. And not because of the fact that I'm seven days away from the point that both of my other deliveries occurred. Nope. Instead, I was lucky enough to come down with a good ol' summer cold. You know, the pressure-in-the-forehead-stabbing-pain-in-the-ears-watery-eyes-runny-nose-drainage-overload-sore-throat-inducing summer cold. Just ain't right, I tell ya. And Mark has it too! We have our dear son, Rudy to thank for it. And he owes his gratitude to my dad. And since I love those two so much, I'll just say that whoever gave it to my dad deserves a serious whoopin'. As if feeling swollen and uncomfortable from the neck down wasn't enough, just add in from the neck up to make it the total package. Hopefully it clears up...and no one else gets it!...before the little man makes his inevitable appearance! Keep your distance this weekend, Brian and Cristi!

No comments: