Thursday, June 2, 2011

TTT: Season 2, Episode 22

1. Last week I wrote about how well my thirty-two week appointment went. And how maybe-just maybe- things might go a little differently this time around. And who knows. Maybe they will. But after the past week I'm starting to think that things might be starting to look a little more par for the course. No worries...my blood pressure is still doing ok. A little bit high at times but not any where near the dangerous range that it has gotten to in times before. It's just that the swelling has gotten out of control. Bad! I'm thinking that a lot of it has to do with the heat. (Kolb and Ru were both winter babies.) But these things from the knee down are just out of control! Slightly better in the morning, but so tight that it feels like the skin is going to tear in the evening. Oh so attractive.

So who knows. I have my thirty-four week appointment on Monday and would not be surprised (or excited) if she says I need to go on some sort of bed rest. I've been waiting for that nesting instinct to kick in, and it has a little bit, but not like how it was with the other boys. About a week before Kolb was born I just knew he was going to be here. I started washing all his clothes, setting up diapers and wipes, assembling all the gear I thought I'd need. My mom told me that with more than five weeks to go, I was being crazy. But somehow I just knew. The same thing happened with Reagan. I already had most of the baby stuff out since Kolb was still just fourteen months. But I had this overwhelming urge to organize everything in the house. Cabinets, shelves, random spaces. I just knew it was time to get ready. With this guy, I'll be thirty-four weeks tomorrow, and thus far, I've managed to wash all the preemie and newborn clothes after running across them in a box while unpacking. That's about it. Haven't even ordered the car seat yet. I'll get around to it though. I suppose with your third trip to the rodeo you don't find it necessary to strap your spurs on too far in advance.

2. Call me crazy (it's true), but throughout this whole ordeal of selling a house, moving, buying a house, moving again, setting up a new house, and muddling through the third trimester of pregnancy, I've still managed to keep my little etsy shop open and running online. It's actually still going really well and with all the expenses of moving and a new baby, the money sure doesn't hurt either. It has kind of worked out where I have a week or two to go at it sweat shop style and build up my stock and then when I can't sew for a week or two (like while moving and unpacking) I've got plenty to sell. I'll admit that I'm definitely not brave enough to try to run it through the delivery of the baby and then adjusting to having three, so it will definitely be shutting down for just a little bit and I'll re-open it when my head is above the water. But I just thought I'd mention it because this month I will be celebrating one year of the shop being open. Can't believe it! Of course the first few months were insanely slow, but I look back and see how much business I've done, how much extra spending money I've been able to bring to the family, and how much I've enjoyed having my own little nap-time business. I'm so glad I went for it and I look forward to keeping it up in the years to come. I really do enjoy it and can't get enough of all the sweet compliments and comments from customers. Isn't it crazy how the internet has completely changed the way things work? I've run an independent at-home business for a year and have never met a single one of my customers! Twenty years ago, this would have been totally impossible. So thankful for all the opportunities that have come my way. Especially this one!

3. Before I go on and on about "me time," let me just start by saying how much I love my boys. When they aren't with me, I think about them. When I'm alone, I miss them. They're precious and darling and I'm so blessed to be their mom.

That being said, man, is it nice to get some alone time! Yesterday, my dad offered to spend some time with the boys. The conversation went a little something like this:

Dad: Hey T, mind if come get the boys for a bit?
Me: Do I mind?
Dad: Yeah, I was thinking maybe I could come pick them up, bring them back to our house to walk Molly and then they can just eat lunch and take their naps here.
Me: Uh, is this a question? YES!

He arrived at nine in the morning and by four in the afternoon I had to call over there and see if they had made it to the border with my kids yet. And entire day of time to myself. Ahhhh. No sippy cups to fill, no squabbles to settle, no diapers to change. Just time to put my big fat feet up and relax. Which I'm sure was my parents' goal anyway. I know they worry about me. I got tons of laundry done, hung a few pictures up on the walls, ran to the store for some milk and a few other necessities, and watched a lot of pointless TV. It was awesome!!! And yes, I did miss the boys. The house was way too quiet. But a day like that would benefit just about any full-time stay-at-home mom. Thanks, Mom and Dad! All I can say is, "Ahhhhhhhh...."

No comments: