Thursday, December 15, 2011

TTT: Season 2, Episode 49

1. Ah, what a week. Full of the unexpected. Some truly wonderful, some truly awful, and some a little bit of both. Since I'm sure you're wondering how something unexpected could be both wonderful and awful at the same time, I'll divulge. I should have seen the omen last week when my beloved sewing machine "crossed the line" and stabbed me through the finger. Maybe her wayward behavior was a sign of her advanced-stage aging process. Like her sewing machine dementia had caught up to her and she forgot how to stay in line. Or maybe her feelings were hurt by the one several mean words I flung her way while removing the needle from my finger. (quite similar to a knife-in-the-back in a person-to-person relationship) Either way, she decided to call it quits on me. Just up and stopped running all together. I tried everything in my power to remove something in the neighborhood of seventy-eight screws in search of the problem, but it was no use. Yes, there are places that fix sewing machines. But they tend to run at a rate of at least $60-$70 per repair. And that's just if it's something simple. No replacement parts needed. Like for the diagnostic portion. Sadly, this is where I admit that I've been running a small business on a sewing machine that my mother purchased for me for only $85. On sale. She was the absolute basic of the basic sewing machine. Nothing  fancy. Not computerized. Just a basic, standard machine. My mom had no idea if I was going to actually like sewing and of course, had no idea I'd start a small business doing it, so she figured she'd start me at the bottom. Anyway, paying for her to get fixed would have been pointless. So that's the awful: my sweet, first sewing machine being laid to rest. R.I.P., my friend. I'll always have fond memories of our times together and how you helped create my love for sewing. So I'm assuming you know what the wonderful is, right? Did you guess  "a new sewing machine sitting smack in the middle of Laura's sewing table"??? If so, you're correct. I have to admit, that because this was a completely unexpected occurrence, I didn't quite have the time or the money to do the research I wanted to do, shop around, or really invest in my "dream machine." I had to get something good and get something quickly. (I have a good fifteen get-it-to-you-by-Christmas orders sitting on my desk!) I've always had that thought/dream in the back of my mind of getting a new, awesome sewing machine...and I still do...but for now, the new one I got is quite fancy compared to the one I had, didn't break the bank, and totally gets the job done in a much quieter manner! (my old one was a clanker!!!)

2. If only our second topic for discussion could have been solved with a few hundred dollars. Instead, it was solved with nearly a couple thousand. Mark's car, Mark's car, Mark's car. If we didn't need to trade it in for something better soon, I'd probably go outside and throw rocks at it. Several months ago we sank about $350 into repairs on it. Repairs that my dad did for us. We knew that there were a few other small issues going on...like needing two new tires and some sort of a belt, but that was about it. Until Monday. When it completely died on Mark outside of Joann Fabrics. (why was he at Joann? you ask? Yes, Christmas shopping for me. What a great husband!) Never did I think I'd get a call from Mark Asmussen saying, "Can you come pick me up? I'm outside of Joann's!" Ha! Anyway, the tow truck came, hauled off our gem of a car, and left us anticipating the worst. Which we received the next morning from the repair shop in the form of $1,500 in needed repairs. Geez. Merry Christmas to you, too! New belt, new alternator, and new brakes later, we're still in need of two new tires in order to pass the inspection that's expired. Guess that's what you get when you drive back and forth from Lubbock to Midland every week for a year and a half and then at least for an hour a day between multiple hospitals in start/stop traffic in Houston. Needless to say, our hunt for a nicer/newer/used vehicle begins now...before something else goes wrong with this thing! At least we should get a pretty good trade in value on it since we've invested so much in the repairs! Ugh!

3. December 15th. Ten more days until Christmas. And (I think) I'm officially done with Christmas shopping! I'll admit: I think I only actually went out and purchased one item. Everything else was ordered. Online shopping is just so much easier. Less stressful. And often times, more affordable. If all of the wrapping was also done, then I'd really be tooting my own horn, but right now it's all piled up in my bedroom, waiting for a massive wrapping session this weekend. After all, Lord knows the sooner I wrap them, the sooner little fingers are going to start poking and prodding at what's inside. Mark and I keep joking about how we're going to be having a Gift of the Magi Christmas for each other. Have you ever read that Christmas story by O.Henry? It's my favorite. It's the one where the young married couple doesn't have much money but wants desperately to buy gifts for each other. The wife cuts off her beautiful, long hair and sells it to buy her husband a chain for his pocket watch. And the husband sells his pocket watch to buy his bride a pair of beautiful combs for her hair. Sacrificing their most valued treasure for each other, and in the end, realizing that having each other is all they really want or need. It seems like every Christmas we have situations pop up (like Mark's car!) that help us to remember this very important message and just how true it is for our little family.

She's definitely reached the "December" of her existence...

Why does my baby not look like a newborn any more!?! (this is him hanging out with Pa...my parents watched the boys on Friday night so Mark and I could go to a little Christmas party for his office. Our first time out at night sans kids since Grant was born!!!)

Casa de Asmussen at night...we finally finished putting up lights...at least for this year. Mark has grand aspirations of doing the whole house next year. And thanks to my dad donating a long strand of old lights from his house, we just might be able to make it happen if we can get a good 200 light bulbs before they sell out next year! For now it will just have to be the tree bottoms, garden border, and door way.

Dada and Kolbe hanging out in Pa's garage attic.

My boys have been on a major fruit kick lately. At home, I normally cut apples up for them so they're easier to eat. But our church had Santa Claus available for visitors after mass this past weekend, so we had to stop in for a visit. Each boy walked away with some fresh fruit and Kolbs decided he wanted to try to eat the apple on the core. He was successful! (kind of)

While Mark's car was in the shop he had to take my van to work. So for two days, these babies were our only form of transportation! (also known as something-to-keep-us-from-going-stir-crazy!)

Grant. Barfs. All. the. Time. Behind Kolbe (which was understandable because of his cleft), he's the spittiest baby I've ever seen!!! Never cries. Never pouts. Just barfs at random times. At least he aimed well with this one and it landed on the floor. Instead of my hair or neck where it tends to go.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...my little Rudy is definitely our clever, creative one. The other day I was standing facing the couch (back to the boys) and folding laundry. Rudy grabbed his blanket and started finding objects in the room to wrap up in it. He would wrap an item and then bring it to me: "Mom! Here's your present! Open it!" I'd un-fold the blanket to find a book or a snow globe or shoe. After several "gifts," he returned and said, "Mom! I have a present for you!" When he didn't reach up to hand me anything, I kept right on folding clothes. "Mom! Come open your present!!!" I turned around to find the item pictured above. That's an exersaucer with a baby in it. After busting out laughing, his response was: "Mom! I got you a new brother! Don't you like it!?!"

No comments: