Thursday, December 8, 2011

TTT: Season 2, Episode 48

1. I managed to live through every sewer's worst nightmare this week. No, not running out of thread mid-project. Or cutting the fabric out incorrectly. Nope. The real nightmare: sewing right through my finger tip with the sewing machine. I remember reading another blogger recount this injury a long time ago and thinking Are you serious!?! How do manage to sew through your finger tip? I just couldn't imagine being in any position where that would actually happen. Until Friday. When I got some fabric jammed down in the throat place. And then Grant started crying from his nap in the background. And I didn't want him to wake up the napping Reagan but I also wanted to get that dadgum fabric out the throat plate so I reached in there and gave it a real good tug. And also pushed down on the pedal at the same time. Down goes the needle, right through the top of my nail, into the flesh and out the other side. Of course, I couldn't see the out-the-other-side part just yet....the machine stopped as soon as it went through. I just sat there in shock for a few seconds staring at my finger pinned to the sewing machine. And the proceeded to grab the wheel and manually back the needle out of my finger. I wish I had gotten a picture of it when it happened. But who grabs their phone in a moment like that!?! And taking a "after" shot doesn't nearly do it justice. But I tried anyway. You can't really see where it went through the nail, but there are still little purple dots where the needle entered and left the flesh. Really, it was way more painful than it looks. And now I'll trot off with my tail between my legs for rolling my eyes at the aforementioned blogger who did the same thing.  



2. My boys have been in rare form this week. I was somehow under the impression that the closer it got to the holiday season, the better their behavior would get as they tried their hardest to impress Mom and Dad and good ol' Saint Nick. But instead it's been the opposite. Instead they think it's the season of I-deserve-everything or this-is-your-time-to-impress-me. And because there are so many events, fun activities, and exciting opportunities popping up every week, it's easy for them to get a little indulged. But I guess it's time to rein things in again, 'cause I'm just not down with their ugly attitudes. I'm sure Amazon would be happy to accept my returns! I'm sure plenty of it has to be me being stressed out, too. While the holidays are a wonderful time to reflect, draw closer to God, and  celebrate time together, it's also always high stress with decorations, gift buying and giving, and travelling/hosting guests. I think sometimes I just need to slow down and re-connect with what's really important. That, or go hide somewhere for a few minutes of peace! Though that doesn't always work either. Yesterday I left the boys at the kitchen table to run to the restroom. I had been gone for no longer than fifteen seconds when I began to hear: "Marco!.....Maaaaaarrrrrcccco!" I pretended I couldn't hear it and hid behind the door for a few more seconds. Eventually the Marcos got too loud and I finally answered back with "Polo." From just outside the door, Reagan responded with, "Oh, there you are. You aren't supposed to leave me!" Apparently even the sixty second sneak to the bathroom is no longer allowed in this house. Yikes.

3. Back to the topic of Christmas decorations. Mark and I have always had grand aspirations of having our whole house decked out. But boy, does that take time and lots of money! We decided to start small this year and do the bottoms of the trees with small lights and the edge of the entire large flower bed in our front yard with the big light bulbs. Of course by the time I finally got out to go look for what I wanted, I both a) realized that most of the stores were already picked over and b) realized that I had no idea what I really wanted. There's far too many options, colors, styles, etc. Traditional, LED, solar...white, crystal white, warm white...constant, twinkling, flashing....even ones that play music. It felt like the day I registered for baby stuff and discovered that I had no idea what I actually needed. Over the past week I've made several trips to several stores, bought and returned multiple items, and still don't have what I need or want. Currently our dining room and entry way are covered in various piles of lights to be returned, lights to be used, extension cords, and more. I know I'm probably being way more anal than I should be, but I want it to look really pretty and classic and be something that will last us for many years. And now that I think I know what I really do want, all of the stores are completely out of stock. Grr. I'm thinking for now I'll stick with the pieces I like that I definitely want to keep, maybe attempt to find some end of the season bargains after Christmas, and if not, just be prepared mid-November to get exactly what I need to make decorating our yard next year run much more smoothly. Too bad our Elf on the Shelf doesn't truly have a heartbeat. I could really use a personal assistant right now.

He's definitely not on the naughty list. I'm in loooooove with this guy!


My brother and sister-in-law came through town on Friday night and we got to spend a fun evening with them and our adorable godson, John Boy. And, of course, Pinkie and Pa were in on the shenanigans too! They're just missing Jackson and Kennedy in this picture!

Uncle Mark knows how to entertain the troops! There's a grocery store beside the restaurant we went to so he grabbed a cart and took the boys for a spin.


I know I take way too many pictures of this guy sleeping, but he always manages to crack me up! I guess he had to have the microwave with him in case he needed a midnight snack.

Saint Nicholas paid the boys a visit on his feast day! Rudy didn't totally get it but Kolbe was just so much fun to witness. He was literally shaking with excitement! Not to mention the fact that he stayed up till 11:30 the night  before...the anticipation was killing him! In the lower left corner of the pic you'll notice a nice little letter. It's a note St. Nick left the boys reminding them of the importance of respecting their Mama and Dada! Ha!

These fools have no shame in our neighborhood. This was taken in broad day light, Sunday morning for our car window on the way to mass. In someone's front yard, just digging around like he owns the place!

1 comment:

Jessim said...

I can't believe you backed the needle out... I don't know what I would have done, but that sounds worse than piercing your finger in the first place!
Is your tetanus shot up to date?