Thursday, September 22, 2011

TTT: Season 2, Episode 37

1. This week officially marked six months of The Asmussens in The Woodlands. Has six months really gone by? Every now and then it feels like just yesterday, but mainly it feels like a long time ago. Heck, a lot has happened since March. Started a new job, sold a house, bought a house, moved, had a new baby. And that was actually just in the first three months. That's a lot to take on in three years! I think all of it has kind of started to catch up to me. And sometimes I find myself just wanting to take a break from my little corner of the world. 'Cause really, being a stay-at-home mom is not just a "full-time" job. It's an all-the-time job. Usually about fourteen hours each day and then on-call every. single. night. But then when I do get a break, even if just for an hour or so, all I find myself thinking about is my family, my home, my life. Really, for the most part, I'm so happy with what God has given me. Have you seen all that I have? How could I have the nerve to complain!?! I think lately I've just been a little blue. Being a stay-at-home mama in a city that you're new to can be pretty lonely. And really, I'm trying to meet friends and connect with people, but most of the time, I'm doing well just to keep everyone fed, clothed, and cared for within the walls of our house. I know it will all come in time. And I'm trying to be patient. And trying to put forth an effort too. It was much easier to move as a child. I had the crutch of going to school to present me with a revolving door of potential friends. All I had to do was get on the bus each morning and be myself. Moving as an adult is much harder. Especially when you have little ones at home, none of your husband's co-workers are anywhere near your age, and your kids aren't in school/sports yet so meeting their peers' parents isn't an option either. Thank God my parents live here! If I didn't have all the contact I've had with them, I'm pretty sure I'd go most days without talking to a single soul over the age of three from the time Mark leaves for work until the time he gets home. I sound pretty pitiful, huh. No woe-is-me. Really, knowing that God is with me is the most important thing to keep in perspective. And I know he's showing me something in the solitude.

2. We had somewhat of a meltdown of epic proportions this past weekend with the boys. You know, one of those what-the-heck-is-going-on-and-how-did-it-get-like-this type moments. I think I knew before Grant was born that we'd go through a major adjustment period. But with everything else going on, I think I let it become more major than I wanted it to be. As in, I let the boys slip a little bit farther than I should have in discipline and behavioral issues. From visitors coming to town to our trip back to Lubbock and multiple other "events" in between, it's been somewhat chaotic at times. Which I'm sure all you other parents out there would agree is a total excuse-generator. Oh, they're just acting up because they've been around grandparents/aunts/uncles/friends for the past week. Oh, he's just throwing a fit cause he's getting over that fever. And on and on. And man, it's so easy to just throw out an excuse when you're tired and taking care of a newborn. But the result is a pair of sassy-pants that are way out their element. And I've let them get that way. So now it's time to crack the whip. (Not literally. Just picture me channeling my inner lion tamer. Top hat and all.) In our meltdown this weekend, Sassy-Pants #1 asked me for a sip of my drink. When I told him no, he responded with "You put that cup down. Right. Now!" And minutes later when I took a toy from his hand his retort was "Excuse me. You. do. not. take something. from. my. hand. when I'm holding it." That was my breaking point. Clearly, he views himself as my equal, and again, I've only got myself to blame. After all, I'm the one constantly waiting on them hand and foot, honoring their every request. It's become a mom's-the-servant type scheme that I've foolishly fallen into in order to just get through it all. But come on now! I'm trying to teach them how to live appropriately in our world. Not how to think that everyone else lives in their world. So the past few days have been a lot of cracking down on disrespect, and I'll fully admit that the effort on my part to make it happen has been difficult, but worth it. I can already see improvements already, and regardless of how tired I may be, I'm just going to have to keep at it till it's the way it needs to be. Little turkeys.

3. Not much else to say this week. Kind of a downer, huh. It's funny, 'cause I never fully know what type of week I've had till I sit down and finish off my blog post and hit that "publish" button. Reading through all this mumbo jumbo makes me want to have a positive week. So hopefully next week you'll be reading with a smile on your face instead of cranking up your blender to fix me a much needed margarita. Or busting out your violin to play me a sad, sad song. And hopefully by this time next week I'll have some fall decorations going up! The next three months are my absolute favorites. Who cares if it's still 95-100 degrees here every day!?! It's time for fall!

Not very heavy this week on the iPhone/Instagram shots. But the ones I've got are goodies!

On Friday my parents went downtown to watch my cousin (on my dad's side) Kristen play volleyball. She's a freshman at Southern Miss and was playing against a Houston team. They took Kolbe along and he had SO much fun and is now in love with volleyball! (and terrified of school mascots) Apparently there were some pretty big trees down at this campus...he normally doesn't look this tiny!

While it is still in the 90s every day here, we finally got a few really good rain showers this week which seemed to cool things off a bit. At least enough to go to the park without suffering contact burns from the play equipment! (Yes, we're at the playground...though this could also be a good pick of the two sassy-pants boys spending a little time in the pokey for sassing their mama!) 

My fave of the week. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Rudy LOVES his baby brother! We have a bed time routine at night that involves reading a few books, saying our prayers, and then Mama serenading them with a few bed time songs. (no shattering glass as of late) Over the past few weeks, Rudy has started a practice of begging me to hold Grant while we go through our routine. On some nights, Grant is just not up for this, as he's pretty much ready to hit the sack too. But on other nights, I'll lay him up on Rudy's chest and the two of them will just cuddle and cuddle while we do our bed time routine. It makes me so happy to see them building a friendship. Of course, the Kolbe/Rudy combo will always be a strong one, but Rudy will also always be Grant's "Kolbe"...so he has big shoes to fill! And is just me or does our former youngest not look like a baby any more whatsoever!?! When did this happen!?!

2 comments:

Jessim said...

Sounds like you had a rough week! Hope the next one is better.

The points you brought up in #1 are ones I struggle with a lot. I'm not a Mom though. I work, so I have interaction at work, but I don't want to bring my job home with me, so I don't really have work friends outside of work. I have hobbies but they seem to skew towards me being friends with 10 year olds (ice skating) or 60+ (quilting). Making friends my own age has been hard. We've been here for 5-years, so it is clearly my own fault. I actually had a good number of friends before, my own age, who have now moved (graduated, they were part of Kevin's PhD program) and the friends I had who weren't my age, a good 20 years older, but still counted as good friends have also moved due to job relocation.

I just don't know how adults make friends :(
I have lots and lots of aquaintances, but I don't know anyone here I could rely on if something happened. I hope you are able to find a strong support network, and that you are able to find playgroups or something (is there MOPS near you?) that will help you get some adult interaction!

Casey said...

Love the picture of Rudy & Grant - precious! Hope your week gets better!