Wednesday, August 13, 2014

On the advent of my second babe starting kindergarten

Not so long ago, I found myself in this same seat writing a similar post about a little boy named Kolbe. And here I am, just one year later, heart in my fingertips, typing away about a little boy we call Rudy.

Our little Rudy starts kindergarten tomorrow.

To say that time has flown throughout his childhood would be a drastic understatement to how it has truly felt. Rudy is the child that I could bottle up and keep a newborn forever. Or a two-year-old. A three-year-old. Really, any day of his life thus far, I'd be more than happy to live over and over and over again.

The day we found out we were pregnant with Rudy I was terrified.

I sat on the edge of our bathtub in Lubbock, TX, staring at a stick with tears flowing. My eight-month-old had just completed his first cleft surgery and was preparing for a second. My husband was in another city Sunday night through Friday night each week attending PA School. Even with a life growing inside of me, I felt so alone. Over the phone Mark reassured me that it was okay… God only gives children as blessings and this baby would be no exception.

I say without hesitation that Reagan Mark was the greatest, most unexpected blessing Mark and I have ever received.

Yes, all of our babies are blessings. Kolbe, my ever present thinker, competitor, and defender. Grant, my firecracker and endless ball of bounding life. Our baby, Thomas John, who we are yet to know but sure to love.

But then there's Rudy.

If every child in the world was a Rudy, no one would ever choose to stop having children. He's the most tender, most loving, most thoughtful, caring, kind, and generous child I have ever known. He's the embodiment of all emotions, picture of purity and goodness. He makes Mark and me want to challenge ourselves to be better. Naturally. He does it with no reservation, no prompting. Just out of the sheer goodness of his being. He's that great.

We have a little daily book of saints that Rudy likes to look at and we often read about the saint for the day. He recently asked me, "Mom, do you think there will ever be a page in here about me?" A child who hopes to become a saint at age five is well on his way, I'd say. And I can see it in him without a doubt.

The five-and-a-half years we have spent with Rudy have been so wonderful. I look to the years ahead with great pride that he's our boy. One that God has entrusted to both Mark and me. I'm so excited for his future and those he will touch at our new school, Sacred Heart Catholic School. His excitement and zest for life will be a blessing to all and I confidently send him out knowing how he will shine.

As Mark best articulated before bed this evening, Rudy has brought a certain something to our family that we would have not known had it not been for his presence: a constant joy. We celebrate you this evening and always, Reagan Mark, for the joy you have created for us. Mama's tears flow not from nerves, fears, or doubt, but out of great pride in who you are and in great gratitude that God created you and put you so near and close to me.

That special place in my heart is always yours.

Meeting the boy who made the world more beautiful.
Joy is knowing you, Rudy!

No comments: