Friday, November 9, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 45

1. Better late than never! It's been a busy, busy week. And I have to admit, a bit of a bummer. You win some and lose some and this week was a loss on several levels! For one, the "open house" last Friday was just what I thought it was going to be just even less successful than imagined. Apparently in years past, it was held in the afternoon hours on a Saturday. You know, when ladies have time to sneak away for a bit and shop. Other than Friday nights being super busy for most people, it was also the night of The Woodlands vs. College Park: the ultimate high school football rivalry in these parts. (the two local high schools) I've always known this was a huge game...heck, Mark took the boys to it last year! But since Mark was on-call and not planning to go to the game, I didn't know it was the night of the open house. I'm going to estimate that maybe fifteen people came through, most of them being close friends or family members of someone else selling at the open house. (There were seven of us.) Everyone was interested in popping in for a few snacks and a glass of wine but no shopping. And by no shopping, I mean no shopping. I left with every single item I arrived with. I know my friend who invited me to sell felt horrible and it certainly was not her fault. The redeeming factor is that everything I had there to sell is completely sell-able in my online shop. In fact, eight of the items have already gone out this week, which has made for a much lighter workload for me and several are planned for Christmas gifts. So I guess the open house wasn't totally a bummer...I'll consider it getting ahead for the busy holiday season that looms!

2. The second "bummer" is a whole conglomeration of issues. Mainly revolving a big little fella commonly referred to around here as "Sir." That would be Sir Grantness. (He picked up the "Sir" during the Olympics when it was decided that he should be a royal.) Ooooooohhhh Sir. Let me just start by saying that the whole "extra hour of sleep" that's celebrated nation wide when "fall back" occurs is an event only celebrated by people without children. Or people with teenagers. Not people with one-year-olds. Kolbe and Rudy used to get up around seven-ish, I'd get breakfast ready, and then go get Grant. So now, it's Kolbe and Rudy getting up around six-ish with the same routine. "So put them to bed a little later so they'll sleep a littler later," you're thinking. It doesn't work that way, my friends. If you put them to bed later, they still wake up at the same time. You could put them to bed at midnight and they'd still wake up at the same time. Their bodies just know. But the problem with Grant revolves around the naps. He just recently...about a month or so ago...officially gave up his morning nap. But since he's been waking up at six instead of seven, he's completely exhausted and ready to crash by ten. Instead of making it to the afternoon nap he's been taking around noon. (Yes, he gets sleepy by eleven but we do lunch and stretch it to noon.) Anyhow, I don't want to go back to two naps because it makes things really "off" for everyone else but man, he's just miserable in the mornings! And adding to his misery are the four teeth that have decided to come in at the same time. Two bottom molars that have broken through and two eye teeth that are in the process. When he's on Motrin or Tylenol, he's his normal happy self. But as soon as it wears off, Lord, help us all! I feel so sorry for him because it looks so painful and miserable, but I hate the idea of keeping him on medicine non-stop too. And other "remedies" have done nothing. Poor little fella. I've decided his fictional counterpart is Animal from The Muppets. But back to the sleep issues. The smart person would just go to bed earlier so that getting up earlier wouldn't be so bad. And I have done that a few nights. But then others I've stayed up until midnight...such as the night of the election...just to encounter another bummer. I could write a whole post about that one. And probably should. But there's so much to digest about that and so many different thoughts I've had about it that it's all just jumbled thoughts in my head right now. There were so many elements that went in to this election. And I can honestly see why certain people and groups feel and believe the way they do about certain issues. The same way I feel so strongly about certain issues too. It's what makes America America. But overall, especially when it comes to the economy and the overwhelming dependence on government that has developed in our nation, it's just hard for me to see how the majority of American voters can think that the best path for our nation is to continue down the same road we are on. I've always been so proud to be an American. And I still am. I love and respect the rights and freedoms we have here and I just hope and pray that my children...and all children...will have the same. I love all of my Republican friends, Democratic friends and everyone in between, and my prayer now is just that we can start to bridge the massive gap between the two parties and start to truly do what's best for our nation. Okay, getting long winded and totally not on the same topic that I started out on. Stopping. At least for now. *Must figure out way to process and publish deeper thoughts instead of just weekly ramblings.*

3. I have to end the week on a positive note. Today was my Kolbe's fifth birthday. Five. Five. How can it be that five years have passed since I first lay eyes on that precious boy? It's amazing the boy he has turned into in just five short years and even more amazing how he's changed me. I love being Kolbe's mom. He's so smart and so talented. A typical oldest child. Every bit as bull-headed as his mother; evidence that God most definitely has a sense of humor. I love this little guy oh so much. That little face and precious smile never hesitate to make my heart skip a beat. God loves me enough to let me be Kolbe's mama. May I always cherish it as much as I do today.

Happy Birthday, my Kolbe!!!
What's a birthday without a cherry donut!?! (he insisted on wearing his hat from pre-school on Thursday to the donut shop this morning)
Enjoying the sunshine! (it's still shorts and t-shirts weather here...)
Cutest little spider man ever!
My three little monkeys! Keeping Dada busy while Mama was at the open house.
Grant goes so hard that when he crashes, it's over!
Last night we went to a pizza place with Kolbe's soccer team for an end of the season party. They all got their medals! This is Kolbe with his coach, Miss Erica, who is a local high school senior who was kind enough to couch the kiddos as volunteer work.
Mark's grandpa, "Grandpa Selso" is a phenomenal artist! He sends us cards for every single holiday. And not just one....one for each kid! The boys love getting his cards and Kolbe is determined to be able to draw like Grandpa Selso some day. And that would be quite the achievement!

No comments: