Friday, July 13, 2012

TTT: Season 3, Episode 28

1. Yet another week of lateness...hey, at least this week I'm not a full week late! Our revolving door of house guests was busy spinning yesterday as our best buds Ben and Erin Johnson arrived with one of our godsons, Jacob. This is their first visit down to The Woodlands since we moved here and we're so excited to have them here! Plus, they're coming down to attend a dear friend's wedding along with a lot of our other Lubbock friends and family and we can't wait to see everyone! It's kind of like a Lubbock reunion of sorts, but on our turf! Two of my four brothers will be here, a sister-in-law, two nephews (one of which is our other godson) plus lots and lots of college friends...sounds like the recipe for a fun wedding weekend. We are really loving having visitors!!!

2. We gave Mr. Jacob Grant's room to sleep in so Grant is sleeping down in our room in his pack-n-play. Last night, when Mark and I went in to get ready for bed, our too-loud talking woke the little guy up and he was not having any part in going back to sleep right away. Since Mark had an early morning surgery, I took the fella out to the family room and gave him some milk. With the lights out, we curled up on the red rocking recliner and my baby Grant actually snuggled with me! I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Grant's sleeping habits are definitely a bittersweet aspect of his babyhood. He sleeps like a champ. Just toss him in the crib and he's done. No crying. Just instant sleep. But that's the only way he'll go to sleep. He never nursed to sleep. Never rocked to sleep. Heck, he never even wanted to be held to sleep! So 'sweet' in that he's a super easy baby to put down which is nice with two other little ones needing attention. But 'bitter' in that I've completely missed out on cuddling my baby which to me, feels so essential to being a mama. But back to the rocking recliner. He curled right up and rested his head just beneath my collar, closed his eyes, and went right on to sleep. And for ten wonderful minutes I soaked in all of his baby-ness. Listened to his sweet baby breaths, smelled his fluffy baby hair, felt his soft baby skin. Of course, every time I tried to pat his back or smooth his cheek, he fidgeted and squirmed, so just ten minutes it was, but a lovely ten minutes. He's growing so quickly and it feels like his baby-ness is fading right before my eyes. I'll want to kill for those exact same ten minutes in years to come.



3. Beyond preparing for our friends to arrive, this week has been a whole lot of nothing. The boys and I have felt a bit like caged animals due to one thing:


Last year I think we topped out at about a total of five or six rainy days the entire summer. This year, throughout May and June we had several rainy days but no more than one a week. But this past week has pretty much been non-stop. It's been at least a full week since we last went to the pool. And I won't lie--we've had several movie days recently! I've got active boys. And I'm a pretty stir crazy mama! So, while we do love not having to water the yard, we're not really fans of the non-stop variety of rain. I don't see how people in places like Seattle do it! It has been off and on, but still, at least some every. single. day. And don't you know that in Houston, it makes for one amazing steam pit of an outdoors when it's not raining! Here's to a dryer week...and hopefully a dry wedding for our good friend, Lisa!

I did a bad job of taking pictures this week... just a couple of the boys working on math!


No comments: