Thursday, August 7, 2008

Kolbe's first "shiner" and Baby Two's first picture!

Things have been CRAZY (as usual!) at the Asmussen house! Daddy Asmussen (Mark) has been stuck in Midland for the past two weeks studying for finals for the first semester of PA school. After successfully making it though as I knew he would, (he still has one more tomorrow!) he will be coming home tomorrow for two whole weeks! Kolbe and I can't wait! We are soooooo proud of Daddy!


With Mark being gone, Kolbe and I have been roughing it through the middle of the first trimester. Can't wait till that's over! Zombie mode is no fun! Although, I must admit that I have been more than blessed not to have to mess with morning sickness. Thank God He hasn't bestowed such and evil thing on me! I think I've got about all I can take right now!

Kolbe, Kolbe, Kolbe...what can I say for the little guy!?! Mr. Action officially got his first "shiner" (black eye) last week. From some unknown source, he frequently summons up the courage to let go of one stationary object and dive for the other before actually holding on to it. Brave, but not so sensible. Needless to say, he missed last week and caught the edge of his little Leap Frog music player. Of course, being the "tough guy" he is, I recall him fussing for roughly 12 seconds before getting immediately distracted by something far more important...his dancing chicken. The tiny little bruise didn't show up until the next morning and you can just barely see it under his right eye in the picture below.


"I'm a real boy now!"

I had my first sonogram on Tuesday of this week and got our first peak at Baby Two. Sonograms are just the coolest things ever for a pregnant lady! In the pic below the baby is about 9 1/2 weeks along and growing well. Despite the 3D picture, he or she still looks pretty much like a gummy bear! After having a baby with birth defects, having HELLP syndrome, still having lupus, and still having a family member with Downs Syndrome, I'm now like super-duper high risk with this pregnancy so I get to have sonograms every 4 weeks! Enough to make you paranoid, (like they're almost expecting something to go wrong...) but exciting at the same time because I'll get to see the little one progress every single month. Still, after looking at the pictures the paranoid factor did end up setting in just a little bit. One of my co-workers commented: "Man, it's amazing how huge their heads are at this stage! It's like a little alien!" Of course I started thinking, wait a minute! Is it supposed to be that big? Are you sure? She's right! It's is HUGE! So I had to do a little internet searching a came up with a medical sketch of 9 weeks gestation. Laughing at myself, I realized that Asmussen Two looks almost identical to the sketch! Facing the same direction, cord in the same place, yolk sac in the same place...it's like he or she posed for the artist's rendition! Silly Mama! Don't be such a worry wart! Here's a link to the sketch if you'd like to compare too! http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-development-images-9-weeks


"Hello everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you!"



4 comments:

Jared said...

Sounds like everyone is doing great! I'm glad to hear that Mark is doing so well in PA school and that semester number one is almost in the books. I'm sure the two week break for him and your family will be much needed. Hopefully he'll be back home on the weekend we come up for the first Tech home game (Aug 30). We can't wait to see everyone and more pictures of Baby Two.

Sweet shiner Kolbs, very nice.

Amy Kinney said...

Yea!! Congratulations :)
Brian and I are excited for your growing family! We'll be keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Brook Louviere said...

Hi Laura! I am praying for you and Baby #2. I know how hard and worryful a high risk pregnancy. I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, which is similar to lupus. While I was pregnant I had a 3d ultrasound done almost every two weeks to make sure Kinsey was ok.

Kolbe is adorable!

Micah and Colby Malouf said...

Congratulations on baby #2! wj